Pages

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Sweatbetes

Exercising isn't really my 'thing'. Most kids at school are into gym class, but I tell you, I would have taken math or English over gym any day. Exercise is supposed to release endorphines and make you feel good about yourself, but I can tell you that it does not make me feel good about myself; it makes me feel incapable, uncoordinated and out of breath.

Recently, probably due to a combination of leaving home for university, depression and hypothyroidism, I have gained a few pounds. Although my weight is still perfectly normal and I'm not worried about it as it stands, I don't want to keep on this trajectory so I figure that I probably should start exercising some.

I came home on Saturday for my vacation from university, and my mum has been going running a few days a week. She asked me if I wanted to go with her, and I reluctantly agreed because I know she'd rather go with someone. Additionally, my doctor told me last week that exercise might be a good coping mechanism for me.

Diabetes always puts me off exercise a bit. My blood sugar plummets and I don't feel it and I inevitably end up consuming more calories than I burn off. However, I know that exercise is still good for my cardiovascular health and that I should try to work though it.

The best time for me to exercise is around 4 hours after a meal. That way I don't have IOB to drive my BG down, but I'm not totally hungry and unenergised. So me and my mum went on a run around 5PM today. We didn't run that far, maybe only around a mile, but it's okay. It's been a long time since I went for a run.

Before going I had a small glass of orange juice mixed with 3 teaspoons of caster sugar (I know it sounds gross, but it totally works for my BG). My BG before I left was 9.8 (176) and when I got home it was 9.2 (165), so that was a win as far as I am concerned. So I might go out more with my mum. I know that I can make it work and I know that I should; it just takes a stupid amount of effort. And perhaps one day I might even enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment